Techweek is back for its 3rd year!
Techweek Detroit is a 7 day long festival of events that bring together the tech ecosystem. We believe in celebrating local tech ecosystems around the globe and strive to encourage the development of high growth sustainable tech companies. After operating in a city for five years, our goal is to see our tech startup community members become substantial and influential tech companies: building, disrupting and/or reinvigorating major local industries, and bringing jobs, excitement and pride back to the community.
Techweek events include interactive workshops, hackathons, startup pitch competitions, connectivity and networking, educational and disruptive speaker series.
What is planned in 2016?
Techweek is happening May 2-8th, and will occur across multiple iconic Detroit locations, including, TechTown, Grand Circus, The Madison Building, Bamboo Detroit, Hatch Batch, Detroit Brewing Company
Each day features a line up of carefully curated events to help entrepreneurs build their businesses and executives to remain on top of the latest trends.
Major Fest events include:
- Diversity in Tech panel, Monday at Bamboo Detroit
- Kick-Off Party with Hatch Detroit, Monday at Batch Brewing Company
- Launch Startup Competition, Tuesday at Techtown
- An Insiders View – The Reporters Perspective, Wednesday at Grand Circus
- Hiring Fair, Thursday at TechTown
- SUMMIT*: The Future of Transportation in a Lyft World – Taggart Matthiesen, Dir of Product at Lyft, Friday at M@dison Building
* Note: Access to SUMMIT talks requires an ALL-ACCESS pass – get your tickets here
Check out the full schedule below to see what is going on in Techweek will take place during the week. This year, given the focus on community, education and great speakers and there will be no expo event.
Who should come?
Michigan’s tech community, tech entrepreneurs and in related fields, such as investors, technology services etc. will find significant value. Tech enthusiasts, and media journalists looking at technology trends would also find the Techweek experience educational and eye-opening.
discover the latest trends and insights on tech and entrepreneurship in Michigan
You’ll find opportunities to hear from influential and disruptive thinkers both at Summit on Friday, and at Fest Events through the rest of the week. Summit sessions reveal the latest disruptive or emerging trends whereas, Fest events largely address building skills, topic knowledge and education.
This year we are attracting an amazing lineup of influential thought-leaders. We are tackling topics like:
- Venture investment in Michigan
- The changing state of Autotech
- Sports technology
Note, you can access all the events across the Fest Events with a FEST pass (and an RSVP!) – for Friday’s Summit will need the ALL ACCESS pass (and an RSVP!) to get in. Check out the full schedule below.
Our official Detroit 2016 LAUNCH submission form
LAUNCH is Techweek’s startup competition for pre-series A companies.
- Companies from around the world demo and pitch to judges, attendees and investors who evaluate their ideas and business models
- From among all entrants, a small number are chosen to reach the LAUNCH city finals
- One company is selected per city as the LAUNCH Regional Champion
- The champion is eligible to win potential investment and prizes as well as is entered into the National competition to be crowned the LAUNCH National Champion!
- Exposure: Meet investors, fellow startup talent, and potential customers
- Press: LAUNCH winners and participants have been written about in Forbes, The Economist, Inc, Time, Wall Street Journal and the New York Times among others
- All finalists will receive upgraded All Access passes to Techweek Detroit 2016 and Techweek Chicago 2016
- Champions will receive access to Founders House, our invite-only evening gathering of Techweek speakers, leaders, senior executives and esteemed founders
- Select sponsored prizes
- Champion will earn pre-qualification to the final round of the Chicago LAUNCH competition with additional opportunities to be recognized and win!
- Champion will be featured in Techweekly Detroit our media platform
What do competitors do in LAUNCH?
- APPLY: Submit your application form below before the deadline date of 12 noon ET, Thursday, April 28th, 2016. Note the application includes a video pitch this year – grab your iPhone record your pitch – don’t worry about quality, it’s about hearing from you and your business not fancy graphics!
- REVIEW: An internal and affiliated Techweek board of professional investors and technology reviewers will evaluate, grade and provide feedback on your company, business plan and elevator pitch and will select the semi-finalists
- EXHIBIT AND SELECT: Semi-finalists will be required to exhibit on Tuesday, May 3rd from 4:00 pm to 6:00 pm at Techtown Detroit. Come prepared to host a display booth for you company, and prepare a Powerpoint presentation that you can deliver in 6 minutes. Pitch to Techweek attendees, investors – and perhaps even some incognito judges.
- FINALIST PITCH BATTLE: Launch finalists will be announced after the exhibition on Tuesday evening, and the top 3 Launch competitors will immediately proceed to do a formal pitch in front of a live panel of judges. Finalist pitches should be 6 minutes followed by a 4 minute Q&A
- VICTORY: The overall Techweek Detroit Launch Winner will be announced on Tuesday evening at Techtown, receive their prizes and gain citywide recognition!
Some of our favorite past Detroit speakers
Lauren Love and Tom Zimmerman
- Tim Nixon unveils exciting new product to launch in 2016
- Tim details advancements in tech to make your vehicle “smarter”
- Tim describes how 4G LTE equipped vehicles change your “digital life”
- Dan Gilbert describes his vision for Detroit as it continues to evolve.
- Dan tackles the roadblocks that stifle Detroit’s growth and praises young talent.
- Dan encourages all types of startups to make a home in Detroit.